- Overtime Wages are wages of 1.5 times your regular rate. Your regular rate includes all renumeration for employment paid to or on your behalf, including:
- - hourly earning or salary,
- - piece work earnings,
- - commission,
- - non-cash compensation, like room, board and lodging that are part of your wages,
- - cost of living allowances,
- - any promised bonuses or awards, like incentives or contractual bonuses.
- But your regular rate usually does not include stock options, profit-sharing or employee benefit plans, discretionary bonuses, gifts, occasional time off, extra pay for overtime work, or reimbursable expenses incurred on behalf of your employer.
There are many variations on calculating your regular rate. The federal government has certain rules and each state may have different rules.
If you believe that you are not getting overtime wages when you should use our detailed Overtime Compensation Question form to send us a detailed question about your overtime situation.