Unlicensed Engineers or Junior Drafters Entitled to Overtime

An unlicensed engineer is an engineer without a State license, which generally required a degree from an accredited engineering program, 4 years of relevant work experience and successful completion of the State examination. Licensed engineers are also known as professional engineers. Engineering specialties include: aerospace; agricultural; biomedical; chemical; civil; computer hardware; electrical and electronics, except computer; environmental; industrial, including health and safety; materials; mechanical; mining and geological, including mining safety; nuclear; and petroleum engineering. Junior (entry level) drafters prepare technical drawings and plans, which are used to build everything from manufactured products such as toys, toasters, industrial machinery, and spacecraft to structures such as houses, office buildings, and oil and gas pipelines under the supervision of more experienced drafters. Junior drafters and unlicensed engineers, as distinct from professional engineers, will most likely be entitled to overtime as they do not meet the professional exemption.

» Contact Deskin Law Firm About Your Overtime Compensation Question

If you believe that you are not getting overtime wages when you should, use our detailed Overtime Compensation Question form to send us a detailed question about your overtime situation.